Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Fact or Fiction?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member code10-54's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 1999
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    whats UP all:

    hey, can this recipe that this sucka cooked up beat a JRSC-GS-r? $2500.00 ta spend on a bone stocker...here's da guy's post from Honda-Acura.net:

    the bottom line is yes, it is possible for
    $2500 to beat an SC car or at least match it. Here's the recipe:

    R valve springs and Ti Retainers - $400
    Toda cams and gears - $1140
    Custom Computer - $450
    Kazz LSD w/fluid - $750

    I think I went over by a few but essentially on a GSR that should net better time slips than an SC car I think or at least about the same even if power output won't be as high. On a Type R, you'll have even better results. Keep in mind that the fastest Type R's out there are all N/A. The SC'd ones run slower due to less power and also to less grip off the line (which the Kazz works wonders for). I'm not saying all motor cars are cheaper to build as I didn't incorporate certain items on my list which I think would be beneficial such as a header and maybe some sort of intake but you'd also need that on an SC car as well to net best times. Bottom line is
    that both can be fast and it really depends on which method is preferable for you, that's all. I wouldn't say one method will clearly produce better times per dollar spent. I'd say the difference between them would likely come down to tuning level and driver skill more than anything else.

    ------------------
    Dan
    98 R #1054

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SteveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 1999
    Posts
    300
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well i can see another FI vs. NA battle appearing smile With that I add my $0.02.

    Dan is a good friend, but i have to disagree if he thinks that small list will beat a sc gsr. I have only had mine 2 days now but it is much quicker than any R I have been in, short of the SC ITR. Somehow i think we might be misinterpretting that post though. If not we will see next spring for sure, but i will have a kazz lsd installed to help at auto-x so it might be more lop-sided.

    Steve, grinning like an idiot from the new HP and torque

  3. #3
    Inactive Member God1's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 1999
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Hey I was quoted! Cool. Anyway, I think the most problematic factor that limits SC'd Integras is that they have too much power and can not put that power down off the line. As the temps warm up Steve I'm sure you'll find this to be true. Without an LSD, 1st gear traction is difficult and takes a great amount of skill to get good 60 foot times in that car. Yes, the SC car will have more power and especially torque than the Toda/Kazz equipped GSR but because of the launch I think the N/A car can maintain the lead especially with those cams and proper tuning. It's be close whatever the case and considering it's N/A v. SC, I'd say even getting close is pretty good.

    ------------------
    Dan
    98 R #1054

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Turismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 1999
    Posts
    557
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Add the LSD and any other mods listed beneficial to a FI setup with the JRSC GSR and see what happens. With traction your eatin' R's for breakfast.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ITRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually if you added cams for the money there is other things you could do. (Throttle Body) Raising compression (IE: Thinner Head gasket, high compression pistons). Remember there are certain cams that continue to make power way past the red line, thats were ECU tuning Dan was talking about comes in. Personally i think that forced forced induction is the way to go on a GS-R. ITR's already have high compression so N/A is best for them. But if your comparing a Super-Charged GS-R to a N/A Type-R it would be vvveeeeerrrrrryyyy close. BTW the numbers for a S/C ITR aren't impressive. a few mods from Dan's list and a N/A ITR could compete no problem. Just my 2 cents anyway.

    ------------------
    Aiming to be one the fastest ITR's in this continent N/A.

    Stats Aka: Au N@tural Aka: Hurell

  6. #6
    Kevin
    Guest Kevin's Avatar

    Post

    This is on a GSR right? Sorry, but the computer won't give you much more than a higher redline, and it would take a little more than cams, gears springs and retainers to get the power needed to run the number. I just don't see that LSD making up for that big of a power deficit. I've seen plenty of guys with more mods than that not be able to match the SC.

  7. #7
    Lip
    Guest Lip's Avatar

    Red face

    started modding it in October of 98(waited a long time)

    mods on GSR motor

    AEM intake..new...$150
    RS*R header..used package deal(B)...$575
    Tanabe G Medallion Exhaust..used (B)
    Random Tech cat..3"...new...$130
    Stillen fuel presure riser...used...$130
    Jun cam gears...new...$300
    Unorthodox underdrive pulley...new...$180
    Mickey Thompson ET drags in 20x14x6...new..$265
    Honda civic HX rims..used...$100
    Magnecore 8mm wires..used...$35

    =$1865(including labor)

    I ran 14.278


    Today:

    RS*R header..used package deal(B)...$575
    Tanabe G Medallion Exhaust..used (B)
    Random Tech cat..3"...new...$130
    Stillen fuel presure riser...used...$130
    Jun cam gears...new...$300
    Unorthodox underdrive pulley...new...$180
    Mickey Thompson ET drags in 20x14x6...new..$265
    Honda civic HX rims..used...$100
    Magnecore 8mm wires..used...$35
    ITR engine and tranny, radiator w/9k miles..used...$1650
    XS Engineering 9100rpm chipped ECU..used...free from friend
    ITR AEM intake..new...$210
    SFC vtec controller..used...$150

    =$3725 including labor

    I ran 13.38 @ 2600lbs

    Low mileage at 13,000 miles now....NA....very reliable and i searched for good prices like everyone else.

    Merry Christmas and make it a safe one

    ------------------
    RacerX, Lip, ChicknWing, whatever.

    94' GSR, 13.38's NA and counting down. Type GSR-R...what a wonderful feeling 9100rpm's is!!!


  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member CROM's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,202
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All I got to say is you got some of that stuff for better prices than almost anyone else can get them for, you must have done some good digging around...congrats, but your case is definitely a special one! I actually just checked on a price for an ITR tranny from a dealer(i know, a dealer but oh well) they wanted 2600 for the tranny itself!

  9. #9
    Lip
    Guest Lip's Avatar

    Post

    Thank you...and yes...lots of searching. drivetrain came from a friend that wrecked his ITR and let me buy it off the insurance company. i'm just saying...patience pays off and some things just aren't bad to buy used.

    ummm...dealer is trying to kill you on the tranny. i can get them from A&H for between 1300 and 1400 brand new. Thats brand new ITR with LSD.

    ------------------
    RacerX, Lip, ChicknWing, whatever.

    94' GSR, 13.38's NA and counting down. Type GSR-R...what a wonderful feeling 9100rpm's is!!!


  10. #10
    Inactive Member 4 Devils's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 1999
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i would like to peep at your 1/4 tag showing mid 12's with a sc briguy. i think your full of hot air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •